Tuesday, June 29, 2010

W3/Meal 1: OPA! Greek-inspired squash blossoms



This was a side dish, not a meal. I didn't have time to make an elaborate dinner but I wanted to use those squash blossoms while they were still fresh and firm.

Esther-- one of my CSA's admininstrators-- verbally gave me a recipe for easy stuffed squash blossoms when I picked them up.


The first step was to thoroughly wash and dry them.


She suggested I stuff them with a soft cheese --ricotta, for example-- but I had some terrific feta on hand and used that instead, cutting it into small cubes and filling each blossom. I also included a pinch of fresh oregano inside each one.


Next I dipped each blossom in a bowl of one beaten egg, soaking them thoroughly and twisting the top a bit to "seal them".


I then rolled them in a bowl with a mixture of white flour, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.


I fried the blossoms in a very shallow amount of olive oil (just enough to coat the pan) until they turned golden brown, turning them several times.


The final-- and most important!-- touch was giving each blossom a generous squeeze of lemon juice, giving it that distinct and bright Greek flavor.


Verdict:
AWESOME. But I mean... when you stuff something with cheese and then fry it... what's not to love?

1 comment:

  1. "when you stuff something with cheese and then fry it... what's not to love?" Right-o!

    ReplyDelete