Thursday, July 15, 2010

W5/Meal 1, Part 2: Fattoush

My husband's family is Lebanese and Syrian, and over the years I've grown to regard Middle Eastern food as my all-around favorite cuisine. Or maybe Mexican. Or Indian. But it's up there.

Middle Eastern main entrees tend to be pretty beef- and lamb-centric, but the side dishes (think hummus, tabouleh, baba ganoush) are heaven for someone who doesn't eat red meat.


One of my favorites is fattoush-- a light and healthy salad that's so simple but so perfect.


There are lots of variations, but most of them usually contain
lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, toasted pita, sumac, mint, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice.

This was a perfect use for fresh mint, so I made a simple version to go with my pasta.


Easy fattoush

(pictured below with the salmon pasta)

Ingredients

Red leaf lettuce

Grape tomatoes

Onion

Celery
(what was left of it...)
Cucumber

Mint

Sea salt

Lemon juice

Olive Oil


Directions

Chop vegetables and mint and toss together in a large bowl. Top with olive oil and a generous amount of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Add salt to taste.

... See? Simple and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment