Thursday, July 1, 2010

W3/Meal 2: Zucchini with Quinoa Stuffing

I'm a big fan of stuffed vegetables. My Italian mother makes a mean stuffed green pepper, and my Lebanese mother-in-law has an amazing recipe for stuffed squash called Koosa. Really, I just like things that are stuffed with other things.

Despite the intense heatwave, I decided to forge ahead and bake my own version using zucchini and quinoa. I considered "Could it be any hotter in our apartment?" to be a challenge, not a complaint.



Zucchini with Quinoa Stuffing

The original recipe can be found
here, but I tweaked it a bit by excluding the almonds and adding fresh oregano from this week's share.

Ingredients

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed

4 medium
zucchini (I used two large)
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed

1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered

2 cloves
garlic, chopped
3/4 cup grated Parmesan (3 ounces)

4 tablespoons olive oil

+ about 1 Tb chopped fresh
oregano

Directions

1] Heat oven to 400° F. In a large saucepan, combine the quinoa and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.

2] Meanwhile, cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Arrange in a large baking dish, cut-side up.

3] Fluff the quinoa and fold in the beans, tomatoes, almonds, garlic, ½ cup of the Parmesan, and 3 tablespoons of the oil.

4] Spoon the mixture into the zucchini. Top with the remaining tablespoon of oil and ¼ cup Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake until the zucchini is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.


Verdict:
The stuffing itself was delicious, even before it was baked. I had a little leftover and plan to eat it cold, like a bean salad with a hefty garlic kick. The finished project was yummy-- so healthy and tasty-- but admittedly dry. Made me think it could use some kind of sauce.


All in all, an easy and complete meal with quick preparation.... but next time I'll think twice before running a 400 degree oven for an hour when it's 100 degrees outside.

The answer was: yes, my apartment could get hotter. Much, much hotter.

No comments:

Post a Comment