Wednesday, June 16, 2010

W1/Meal 1: Spinach & Garlic Scapes Pasta

Those garlic scapes were so crazy-looking that I felt compelled to tackle them first. The more of my fresh produce I can incorporate into one meal, the better, so I was happy to find this recipe:



Spinach & Garlic Scapes Pasta


Ingredients
:
2 cups spinach, rinsed & dried

1/2 cup chopped garlic scape

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons butter

Salt

Fresh ground pepper

1 lb pasta, of your choice


Directions
:
1] Place spinach, garlic scapes and parmesan in a food processor and pulse until mixture is chunky.

2] With machine running, pour in olive oil.

3] Process until mixture is smooth.

4] Add butter& seasonings to taste.

5] Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package until al dente.

6] If the sauce is too thick, add a little pasta water and mix well.

7] Drain pasta, place in serving dishes and top with sauce.


Serves four
.

***


I halved the recipe and used gluten-free rotini, omitted the butter, and added an extra handful or two of spinach. I also added cherry tomatoes to brighten the earthy flavor and some cannellini beans for sneaky protein. Then I topped it off with some grated pecorino romano, which I'm pretty sure I could eat a bowl of on the side.


Perfection.


The verdict:
Incredibly easy with a delicate but satisfying flavor. The scapes provided enough garlicky bite without overwhelming the fresh, green taste of the spinach. This meal was gone in about three minutes. Success!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! That looks DELICIOUS! Nice work. I made asparagus last night, and I feel like I should get some sort of award. But this meal looks like it is actually worthy of an award. In fact, I hereby name you Fresh Chef of the day. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete