Wednesday, August 18, 2010

You've been (soft) served

I noticed today that the Tasti D-Lite across from my office went out of business.

When I first moved to New York more than five years ago, I was all about Tasti D. I would drag Mike whenever we passed one (despite his assessment that it "tastes like air") and sometimes spend my lunch hour people-watching with a cup of the nutrition-void frozen treat.

Then came a slew of
exposés outing Tasti D-Lite as deceptively unhealthy. I consequently pledged loyalty to the newly-arrived Pinkberry, which became a weekend habit when I found myself in SoHo.

When I discovered that even Pinkberry was unnatural, I settled on a neighborhood spot that cultures their own yogurt. No frills, no mysteries, no unpronounceable ingredients.


I can't help but feel that the closing of this Tasti D is a metaphor for my own changed taste and priorities.


And maybe not just mine, but all of New York.

Soon, I imagine, all Americans will be voting with their cones and choosing natural over chemical.


... Or maybe this particular location just had a ton of cockroaches and rat crap behind the counter.


At any rate, RIP Tasti D-Lite.



No comments:

Post a Comment